August 04, 2007

Sewing Part Deux

For those of you that know me well you will not be suprised that I did not let sewing "beat me." Although the class was overwhelming I decided to give it a try. I bought a simple pattern and some cute fabric, circa Lucille Ball, from Walmart and decided to make an apron. Being the prudent person I am I also decided I was in need of adult supervision for this first project so I loaded everything up and went to Granny's house. She helped me lay out the pattern, put the pieces together and make some key decisions. I did all the sewing and really got comfortable with my machine. It was so much fun and only cost about $20 to make. Here is a picture of the finished product.

Pretty cute, I know. Please try to limit your orders to 5 per day.


Fast forward 2 weeks and I'm getting pretty gutsy. I decided to turn my big, ugly pine coffee table into an ottoman. This project had 2 objectives. Objective 1 was to disguise the big, ugly table. Objective 2 was to hide all of Jake's living room toys underneath the table. I must say mission accomplished! Pricing the foam for the top of the table was scary, but luckily JoAnne's was having their Christmas in July sale so I got everything 1/2 off. Here is a picture of our new ottoman/coffee table. Please feel free to come by and see it in person too!

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Holy cow! You sure got going with this hobby - fast, too. The apron is absolutely adorable. You could also do mini ones for kids in those super cute fabrics - If you have any friends with little girls, that would be a great gift for a birthday. LOVE it!

8:05 AM, August 05, 2007  
Blogger Teach said...

What a great idea!! Watch out at Christmas... homemade gifts for everyone :)

8:17 PM, August 05, 2007  
Blogger Alicia said...

Wow, Leslie! I can't believe you're a beginner! Most people make trapezoidal pillows to start out. =) Do you know about JoAnn's and Hancock's coupons? They will e-mail them or mail them to you. They send 40-50% off coupons every two weeks or so, so you'll never have to go without one. Also Hobby Lobby sends them via e-mail every week. Have fun, and keep it up!

9:53 AM, August 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home